As are continue into our almost one month 'lockdown' for the Covid-19 pandemic, there is only one thing to keep us sane.
Home cooked meals brings comfort during these unnerving times. It can be a simple meal without having to turn your kitchen upside down.
Here are some of our top simplified comfort food. Use whatever you have in your fridge and pantry. With a little creativity, you too can whip up something wholesome.
1. Spicy grilled cheese sandwich
This is for those who wants to add a little bit of heat in their grilled cheese sandwich.
- Heat up a large skillet over low heat
- Get 2 slices of bread and spread butter onto each side of the bread
- Place one buttered side of the bread down in the skillet
- Lay the other slice of bread on top of the cheese with buttered side out
- Grill until the outside pieces of bread are toasted and the cheese is melted, flipping halfway through.
You can also add ham to the sandwich.
2. Tomato soup (Tortilla soup)
This is a tomato-based Mexican classic soup. Have it on any day and it's guaranteed to warm your soul. The elaborated method of making of cause is to load it with shredded chicken, cheddar cheese, tortilla strips and avocado. But if you don't have the ingredients, you can still make a simple version with Molli Tomato Salsa.
- Pour quarter (60ml) of Molli Tomato Salsa and cup water into the pot.
- Add shredded chicken
- Add some chicken stocks/broth to taste
- Cook well and serve in a bowl.
- Top of up with tortilla chips (or substitute it with toasted bread) , cheese, and avocado if you have any.
3. Potato Taco (Tacos de papa)
Potato is considered a pantry must have in many household as it can be kept for a long time. One of the many ways you can enjoy potatoes is to have it with tacos.
- Wash the potatoes and cut them into cubes (leave the skin intact)
- Boils the potatoes in a pot until it turn soft. Remove them and set aside
- Heat oil in the skillet over medium head. Sauté some diced onion until it is tender and translucent. Then add cooked potatoes and season it with salt and pepper to taste
- Serve the potatoes with tortilla (or substitute it with bread)
4. Tomato fried rice
Who doesn't love fried rice? It's filling and so easy to cook you can almost never go wrong with it.
- Heat up some oil in a pot and sauté some diced onion until it is tender and translucent.
- Add Molli Tomato Salsa, salt and pepper to taste
- Add your favourite veggies (usually we will just add frozen corn kernels, peas and carrots) and cooked rice, mix them well.
- Add in cooked rice and stir well
5. Tortilla chips
Tortilla chips and dips are the perfect snacks to have when you are chasing Netflix series. And Molli Tomato Salsa and Guacamolli are the perfect staple dips. Another delicious alternative is the Molli Green Salsa, the latest addition to Molli it's super tangy with a hint of spiciness.
So there you have it. What's your favourite comfort food?